Deuteronomy 6:7 "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cooking from Scratch (10 Ways to Reduce Household Expenses)

I am one that really loves to cook, but I did not always. Before I met my husband I was the type that just ate whatever was in front of me and didn't really think much into what I was eating. Then I met him
He used to be a cook at a local seafood restaurant, so he loved to cook and loved food. Not just meat, potatoes and a vegetable like I grew up on, he liked GOOD food. So slowly I started to really enjoy it as well and then when we got married, the only way we could afford to eat was for me to learn to cook and cook to his approval. So I watched lots of Food Network, and I mean lots! Eventually after a couple years I began to really LOVE cooking and still do til this day. And now I have realized how cooking from scratch has really saved us a ton of money!



So here are some of my favorite, from scratch, recipes:


Fantastic Homemade Bread (6 loaves in 3 hours!!!)


Baby Food- this is just a really great site I use for my baby food recipes. I can't begin to explain how much fun I had making my own baby food and how much better my Wacko did with homemade baby food. Since I started him on baby food at 4 months old, he never got sick that whole first year!

Another great resource for baby food is the book The Super Baby Food , she gave me some great advice of how to freeze and keep baby food, when to start certain food and so much more.


Pancake Mix

1.5 C All purpose flour

3.5 T sugar
3 tsp baking powder

3/4tsp salt

2 eggs (well beaten)
1.5 C milk

1/4C vegetable oil/ melted butter

capful of vanilla extract (optional)

mashed banana (optional, just if you wanna spice them up a bit)


Mix all dry ingredients together. (you can just do this step and keep it in an airtight container for later use, your own homemade mix) Mix all wet ingredients. Then blend the wet into the dry ingredients. Mix well. I also let mine set for about 5 minutes before dropping into the pan, makes them more fluffy I think.


There are so many more I could share with you but that will have to be at a later date. For now I am going to say goodnight. Tomorrow's post will be about Canceling Cable :) Stayed tuned for how we did and SURVIVED!!!!

No comments: