Deuteronomy 6:7 "And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

Friday, September 16, 2011

Why do I even bother....(Frugal Friday)



Today was grocery shopping day and I was taking 3 of the 4 kiddos with me ALONE. Which honestly isn't a big deal; even though I do enjoy the few times I get to go by myself, I am used to the kids (usually all 4) being with me. Well this morning the younger two were in rare form. Wacko couldn't stop whining and asking for everything and L just got down right bored! So what should have been an hour shopping trip turned into two.

I had spent the night before, last night, going through all my coupons, comparing deals with Savings Lifestyle(which by the way is a new website I am trying out for deals), getting/printing all new coupons I needed, figuring out the week's meal plan, and getting my list together. It took much longer last night than usual because I have not been keeping up with my coupons, deals, etc like I should so I was out of the groove of things. It took me a good 2 hours and I didn't get to bed until close to 1AM.

So needless to say, after the long night of planning and then the kids moods this morning, this was not something I wanted to do today. But we took advantage of the time that Dot was at a friend's house for a play date and went on.

During times like these it really makes me ask the question why do I even bother trying to live frugally. It would just be so much easier to go to the store with no list, no plan, hadn't spent any time beforehand and get there and just pick out what I wanted. Not worry about if it is the best deal or if I have a coupon for that. Just go, enjoy the food choices, not be stuck to only buying certain things and then just leave. Only taking up about an hour of my week.

Well that is exactly what I had been doing the last week, not worrying too much about deals and just getting what we needed. Did it make me feel better? NO! Why? Because we had far less food, far less healthy food (because it was all we could afford without coupons, etc) and spent way more money.

So that is why I spent 2-3 hours last night planning and searching. And I did not want to do it last night, I wanted to go down stairs and sit on the couch with my husband and just watch TV. BUT....It was all worth it when I got to the checkout line today, even after 2 hours of being in that crazy store.

I was able to buy $274 worth of groceries for $170!!! And this was not just useless things. I would say with the groceries I got, this will last us for the next two weeks (minus the meats and produce). So next week I plan on spending way less than $100 hopefully.

This is why I have not given up on my frugal living and will continue to press on and not grow lazy. I have 6 mouths to feed and I just can't do that any other way.

*sidenote- after we left the store, we got in the car and guess what, the car would not start!!! So a new battery was bought this afternoon and there is another reason I HAVE to live frugally :)

Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow. -Proverbs 13:11

Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.- Ecclesiastes 5:10

No comments: