As part of our study on what God made on day 2, air, with Dot and Wacko we did a science experiment with Ivory soap. This is so cool, you have to try it.
1. Take a regular bar of soap (anything other than Ivory) and place it in a bath of water.
2. Take a bar of Ivory soap and place it in a seperate bath of water. What happens? The Ivory soap floats! Why is this?
3. Break the bar of Ivory soap in half and see if there are visible air bubbles causing it to float. Nope there's not.
4. Now take that same bar of Ivory soap and put in on a plate in the microwave for 2 minutes. (Have the kiddos sit around the microwave to see it, after just 30 seconds you will start seeing changes).
5. And this is what you will get at the end of 2 minutes:
6. Don't throw out this uniquely formed soap though, because it is still usuable as soap!!!
Amazing huh? The kids and I thought so.
Want to know why this happens? Check it out here. Great experient to teach about air and water :)